The Big Ride for the Big Issue

58emblems2001webA little while back I was approached by Jo Southwell to use one of my designs on cycling jerseys which would be worn for The Big Ride that she and Anne Hayres are participating in that is a series of fundraising cycling events culminating in a ride from London to Paris in July. They are doing this to raise funds and awareness of The Big Issue magazine whose program supports the homeless and whose motto is “A hand up not a handout”

I gave them permission to use my Australian Floral Emblems design on the left.

The cycling jersey designs have been completed and are now in production! I am very pleased to be able to support this important work.

I think the design of the jerseys is great and have been really impressed with the results. Athough I must admit my cycling – well bike riding really – consists of occasionally meandering around quiet back roads in my small town thinking about life on sunny days!


I think this is a great thing to support and would encourage others to also support The Big Ride and The Big Issue – they do some wonderful work and support of many people who need a helping hand. For more information about the jerseys you can contact me here.

Another blogger – Charlie Ward has been talking about his participation in this event as well.

Jo Southwell has kindly supplied me with some additional information about the ride and what they have achieved so far so I am adding this below.

What is The Big Ride for The Big Issue?

The Big Ride is a fundraising event to raise money for The Big Issue. The Big Issue assists homeless people achieve their goals and reconnect with the community. The Big Issue supports people by giving them a hand up – not a hand out – by supporting them to sell street papers and also supports homeless soccer and other ventures. We have chosen to join the adventure of cycling from London to Paris in July 2009 in this organised fundraising cycling challenge. Our challenge is to make a change to our own lives and to the lives of hundreds of Big Issue vendors! We will cycle 60-90 miles (that’s 100-140km!) a day, finishing the day before the Tour de France finishes on the Champs-Elysees.

Who is doing The Big Ride?

Jo Southwell and Anne Hayres, both keen cyclists, with a social conscience.

Why do it?

We are doing The Big Ride to promote the many benefits of cycling and to assist the great efforts of The Big Issue in assisting Melbourne’s homeless people achieve their goals.

More about our Fundraising

Our personal contributions are our airfares, registration costs, bicycles and gear, local expenses in London and Paris and our time and energy in organising the plethora of fundraising events. We need your help to raise $10,000- as of end of April, we have raised $8734, from a few music events, a sausage sizzle, a cycling trivia night, auctions of donated goods, a hot cross bun drive, and sales of our own cycling jersey. Schwob’s Bakery, Degani Bakery, The Cloth Shop, Ventou, and artist Lynette Weir, have all provided invaluable sponsorship support, as have many other local Melbourne businesses, friends and family. The majority of money (75%) from our fund raising efforts will go directly to The Big Issue in Australia, to upgrade their computers and colour printer for their core business- The Big Issue magazine. The remaining 25% goes to The Big Issue UK to cover their costs associated with organising The Big Ride, such as accommodation and food. Many thanks for your help in our venture to support homeless people to help themselves, and reconnect with their communities.

2 thoughts on “The Big Ride for the Big Issue

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: